Tuesday, October 14, 2008

HDTV Preparation and New Storage Area.

I'm gonna try and show how I replaced the 15" box type TV and VCR combo with a HDTV Flat Screen. This first picture is the original way the boat came and looked as stock. The black TV is basically squarish, 15"w x 17"h by 16" deep. And Sea Ray mounted it on a pull-out slider shelve. Then they put all that inside a black box, a little bigger than the TV, which was used as an enclosure or something. The problem is, it left some very usuable space behind the black box - that was totaly unusable. So the first thing I had to do was remove the old TV and black box enclosure.
If you click on the individual pictures, they will open larger in a new window!

Here is another closer look of the original TV.

After I removed the black box, this is what I ended up with.
Right side.

Left side.

Left side and center.
Right side and center.
I constructed a wooden frame that I screwed into the bottom and sides to be used and the backing for the new backboard. I couldn't screw into the top, because that is the underside of the bow of the boat.
Left side and center.
I also added some wooden braces in the center because I intend on mounting a shelf or two on the new backboard.
Right side and center.
This is a poster board cut-out that I used to make a template for the new backboard. Believe it or not, nothing is ever square in a boat. But this actually turned out pretty close to being square.
Before I make the new shelves, I am working on a new door for the front of the new cabinet / storage space. I'm looking at a roll top type which they call a Tambour Door. It is like 1/2" wide wood slats that will roll up (actually, roll to the right side) and hopfully come close to matching the existing tambour doors on the other storage shelf areas.

2 comments:

Greg said...

Nice job! I assume you remove the rail that the old TV slided on?

SeaHarley said...

Yes Greg, as you know, the old TV mounted on a pull-out, swival slider track. And that was removed completely. This now openned up the entire area inside for new storage.
I'm now working on the tambour door and a shelf inside, as an over the winter project.